We believe that environmental sustainability occurs when our processes, systems and activities reduce the environmental impact of our facilities, products and operations. Costa Rica Meadery has identified four priority areas to manage our environmental sustainability: water usage, agricultural raw materials, manufacturing and distribution, and packaging.
Environmentally Sound Goals
- Goal to be Carbon Neutral
- Produce Zero Waste
- Effectively manage shared water resources in the public interest
- Only use sustainably sourced raw materials
Environmentally Sound Practices
- Use environmentally sustainable practices in its own production of honey, fruit, and herbs used in its meads.
- Use sustainable packaging - such as light-weighted bottles and recycled glass as well as alternative packaging such as Tetra Pak and 100% recyclable and lightweight PET mini bottles.
- Support farmers who care about growing ingredients that are free of pesticides, insecticides and other toxic and potentially harmful chemicals.
Costa Rica Meadery is committed to addressing the community impacts arising as a result of our operations including clean water, health and wellness of local communities, fair wages, and worker safety initiatives. We acknowledge that we produce alcohol and that alcohol abuse is a problem in our society. Therefore, we place a particular emphasis on promoting the "responsible" consumption of alcohol. We are committed to fostering a culture of responsible drinking, which will help people to drink within guidelines. We voluntarily provide health labelling on our alcohol products, including an optional responsibility statement such as “please drink responsibly.
Socially Equitable Goals
- Provide skills training programs that positively impact our employees.
- Provide our employees with a living wage.
- Build strong relationships with the local community.
- Participate in educational campaigns that promote responsible consumption of alcohol.
- Encouraging employee engagement in sustainability and healthy living practices.
Socially Equitable Practices
- CRM will reduce energy use by providing employees with flexibility in where they work.
- CRM hold annual “Hot Topic” seminars for producers of handcrafted beverages that focus on water conservation, reduction in inputs, sustainable packaging, and efficient use of equipment.
- CRM owners and employees will be active in the industry and in their community by serving on numerous boards, committees and task forces. They will also participate in research experiments and extension of new technologies and techniques.
Costa Rica Meadery's approach to Economic Sustainability focuses on activities that promote business growth, efficiency and productivity supporting the financial viability of the business. A sustainable economic model proposes an equitable distribution and efficient allocation of resources. The idea is to promote the use of those resources in an efficient and responsible way that provides long-term benefits and establishes profitability. A profitable business is more likely to remain stable and continue to operate from one year to the next.
Economically Viable Goals
- Achieve energy efficiencies through design of buildings and facilities, achieving cost savings over time as well as environmental benefits.
- Manage resources efficiently that result in cost savings.
- Employ continuous improvement process that engages workforce capabilities to improve productivity and profitability.
Economically Viable Practices
- CRM will measure energy, water, waste, meadery inputs, packaging, recycling, and other relevant metrics.
- CRM will form an eco-team made up of employees in all departments who work together to integrate sustainability innovations and activities.